Saturday, July 9, 2011

My Life : A 2nd Chance

Sometimes, we realize that life is so precious when something happens to us and that we are given a 2nd chance. I know this has nothing to do with music but this is my blog and I wanted to share this to everybody.

This month of June was very busy for me and those past days were very very hot. I had to go back and forth from our apartment to school then go to my clients that I maintain for computer services. Then in the afternoon I need to fetch my son at school. Also there are times that I need to be at my client because there were some computer problem on their end. I even managed to walk from Mt. Carmel to Gaisano Blvd., which was more than 1 kilometer in distance and it was at 11:30am under the scourging heat of the sun. There were times that I had headache, one advil tablet will do, sometimes it won't. By the way, I am a hypertensive person, my blood pressure shoots up (180/120 was the highest).

Last July 2, me and my friends are scheduled to leave for Manila to attend a friend's birthday party. When I woke up I did not realize or I don't have any idea that half of my left eye (the white area) was so red, it was covered with blood. There was no pain, soreness or itchiness, my vision had no problem. A day or the night before, I was coughing and sneezing hard. I was thinking that I rubbed my eye and that the redness will be gone that same day or by putting EyeMo or Visine. At the airport, I was even asked if I had sore eyes, I told them that something poked my eye. Sunday, Monday came and my left eye was still bloody red. I bought EyeMo, thinking that this would remove the redness but Tuesday came and still bloody red. Then I told myself that I will have to see a doctor back home. Wednesday, I'm back to Roxas and went to see an eye doctor.

Then the unexpected happened, the doctor diagnosed it as subconjunctival hemorrhage also known as hyposphagma, is bleeding underneath the conjunctiva. The conjunctiva contains many small, fragile blood vessels that are easily ruptured or broken. He told me that the redness will last for a week or two. Then he asked me if I was hypertensive, told him yes. He asked me if I was diabetic, said I don't know. He then checked my blood pressure, it was 180/100. He was shocked. He told me that I was lucky, that it did not rapture inside 'coz if it did then maybe I will be blind or in comatose. He advise me to have a lab test for blood sugar and lipid profile, he also advise me to take catapres just to lower down my blood pressure. Told him that I don't drink my medicine for my heart and for hypertension. Did the lab test, blood sugar was .17 higher than the normal, cholesterol and bad one are very high as well. The doctor advise me to have a diet and continue my medicine for my heart and hypertension.

When the doctor told me that I was lucky, I was smiling. He told me that I was laughing but this will make me blind or comatose. What will I do cry? I was given a 2nd chance. Lesson learned : drink your medicine and diet. It never came to my mind that this will happen to me. One friend told me that my mom guide me to overcome this. He also told me that hearing mass last Sunday at Sto. Domingo church help me overcome the problem.

Causes of subconjunctival hemorrhage:

  • Blood thinners, such as ginger, capsaicin, ginseng, garlic, aspirin, or Herba if taken in high doses or combined. These can also make the vessels in the eye more susceptible to the pressure causes listed above.
  • Diving accidents - Mask Squeeze (volume inside in mask creates increased pressure with increased depth)
  • Severe hypertension
  • LASIK
  • Leptospirosis
  • Minor eye trauma
  • Spontaneously with increased venous pressure
  • Choking
  • Coughing
  • Pulling extreme g-forces
  • Sneezing
  • Straining
  • Strenuous Exercising
  • Touching/widening eyes
  • Vomiting
  • Prolonged stress


0 comments:

Post a Comment